- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200g of tinned tomatoes
- 200ml water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- ginger julienne
- Put all the ginger, chilli, garlic, into a blender and blend to a paste. Then add the tomatoes and water.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until they pop and become fragrant but be careful as they burn very quickly.
- Add paste very carefully as it will spit. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add salt, turmeric, garam masala and leave to simmer for a few minutes. It will be a fairly liquidy consistency.
- Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the fresh coriander, and top with a sprinkle of ginger strips. Serve in a bowl with some buttered roti.