Especially if it’s on fire.
If you’re an avid cook, you’ll have burnt and scalded yourself more times than you can remember. The fact is, the kitchen can be a dangerous place and without the right precautions you can end up damaging yourself and your home.
Don’t just take my word for it. According to the Fire Safety Advice Centre, 7000 people are injured in kitchen fires each year, and nearly two-thirds of all domestic fires happen because of cooking.
To learn more about kitchen fire safety I spent a day with the lads down at Guildford Fires Station. They had some great advice on how to stay safe:
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Never cook if you’re tired, drunk, or on any drowsy medication
- Keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a buildup of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire
- Double check that the cooker and hob are turned off when you've finished cooking
- Never put anything metal in the microwave
If a pan does catch fire, you should never try to tackle the fire yourself. If you try to throw water over the pan it could create a fireball, fueling the flames and causing more damage. Instead, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so and retreat to a safe place, closing the door behind you, and calling 999.
In return for the chaps’ expert advice, I said thanks in typical Hari Ghotra fashion. By teaching them how to cook a curry. Check it out:Back to Blog