- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter stir in the onions and cook until they turn a light golden brown colour.
- Place the coriander and cumin seeds into a pestle and mortar and pound to a powder. Add this, the turmeric, green chillies and chilli powder to the onions.
- After a minute the spices will become fragrant, stir in the potatoes and salt then cook for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and stir in a splash of water. Place the lid on the pan and leave to steam for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat and finish with one teaspoon garam masala and a handful of fresh coriander.
For me this is a wonderful side dish to have with almost any Indian meal to improve the delicious experience. I do also like to use this as a stuffing for peppers or sometimes even on toast.