- 4 chicken thighs, skinned and trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2-4 tbsp tamarind water, or juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Place chicken in a pan and cover with water, add the garlic cloves, salt and place on a gentle heat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and remove from the water and leave to cool. Retain the water as stock.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, cook gently until browned.
- Add the green chilli, salt to taste and pour in the tamarind water with a little of the stock water from the chicken.
- Cook gently and let the sauce reduce. Add a little more stock and cook to thicken. After about 5 minutes add both the chilli and mango powders.
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred it using two forks and add to the sauce.
- Stir to coat and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the garam masala and a handful of fresh coriander.
I like to serve this with salad, finely sliced onion rings, sliced green chillies and some yoghurt.