- 4-6 pieces of white fish, washed and dried
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- large handful of coriander with stalks, washed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 green chillis
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 lemon
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and turmeric powder and leave to marinade for 15 minutes.
- In a blender grind the fresh coriander, garlic and green chillies to create a fragrant paste.
- Heat oil and shallow fry the marinated fish pieces, drain on kitchen paper and set to one side.
- While heating the oil in a pan, crush the fenugreek and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar then add the powder to the pan for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Mix the masala paste into the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-10 minutes until the tomatoes break down.
- Stir in a cup water and bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and place the fried fish slices into the sauce. Coat the fish and cook for 5 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and sprinkle with garam masala and a good squeeze of lemon then serve hot with rice.