- 4 blocks of unsalted butter (gives approx. 500g ghee)
- Gently melt unsalted butter over low heat until the butter melts. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Whilst cooking start to carefully skim off the top layer of white froth using a spoon. These are the whey proteins which need to be removed.
- When the butter stops producing this white foam on the surface and the milk sediment begins to stick to the bottom of the pan remove from the heat and leave to settle.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Try to keep the solids in the pan.
- The liquid collected is the clarified butter (butterfat) that can be covered and stored for up to 12 months. There is no need to refrigerate ghee as there is no risk of it going rancid.
Use for those dishes that require a little bit more decadence. Gives a wonderful nutty flavour and warming aroma.