- 3 tbsp tamarind paste/100g tamarind from a block
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 100ml boiling water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 chilli (2 chillies for more heat)
- 1 small carrot, in chunks
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- If using a block of tamarind hydrate the tamarind by covering it with hot water and soak for 10 minutes. Using a fork mash to remove the flesh. Sieve and keep hold of the tamarind water.
- Place tamarind, salt, sugar, garam masala, and water into a bowl and stir together.
- Then put the chilli, carrot and onion into a food processor to chop finely.
- Stir the finely chopped vegetables into the tamarind water.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and stir together.
- Refrigerate until required.
- Check seasoning before serving and adjust if required.
This is a beautifully balanced chutney with hot, sweet and tangy flavours. It's great with any snack from a samosa to a dosa.