- 800g leg of lamb, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Large pinch asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 stick of cassia bark
- 3 cloves
- 2 whole dried Kashmiri chillies
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 3 heaped tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 50ml water (approx.)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat the mustard oil to smoking point. Leave to cool then reheat and add the asafoetida.
- Add all the whole spices – cumin seeds, cassia, cloves, whole dried Kashmiri chillies, black and green cardamoms and salt to taste.
- Once the spices become fragrant add the meat and fry until it turns a lovely brown colour. Reduce the heat, add the chilli powder and let the meat cook for a few minutes (leave on a low heat so the chilli powder doesn't burn).
- Add the ginger and fennel powder.
- Stir in the yoghurt one tablespoon at a time. Once mixed through place the lid on the pan and leave on the lowest heat setting to simmer gently for up to an hour. Check after half and hour and if required add some water, leaving to cook until the meat is tender.
- Once the meat is tender add some boiling water to create a lovely gravy. Add the garam masala and serve.
Serve with plain basmati rice to mop up the deliciously smooth and vibrant red sauce.