- 1 mug of washed basmati rice
- 2 mugs of cold water
- Wash the rice till the water runs clear - this is done by putting the rice in a pan stirring and draining, repeat and wash again until the water is clear. You will need to do this a few times. I always measure my rice in a mug (a standard mug will feed 3-4 people) and you will need twice the amount of water to rice to cook them perfectly.
- Put your washed rice in a wide based pan and add twice the amount of cold water.
- Begin to heat up the pan and bring it to a rolling boiling. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting possible and put the lid on the pan. Leave to cook for exactly 12 minutes. However tempted you maybe do not remove the lid.
- After 12 minutes remove from the heat, take the lid off and leave for a few minutes.
- All the water will have been absorbed and each grain will be separate - using a fork gently fluff up the rice don't just plunge straight in with a spoon
Rice is the main staple in India and as an Indian we can pretty much have this from breakfast lunch or dinner, with any dish, with any sauce and with any chutney!