- 450g chickpea flour
- 700ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds (if you can't find these use cumin seeds)
- 1 large red onion
- 4 chillies
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the gram flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Place onions and chillies into a blender and blitz. Place into the bowl with the flour.
- Add carom or cumin seeds.
- Add fresh chopped coriander.
- Stir in water to create a loose batter – leave for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the pan on a medium heat and pour in about two teaspoons of oil.
- Pour in four tablespoons of the batter into the middle and tilt the pan to get an even coverage of the batter.
- Leave to cook for about two-three minutes and once you can see small bubbles appearing on the top check that it is turning golden on the bottom. Flip the pancake with a spatula and cook the other side for another minute or so.
These are amazing just on their own with some pickle for a lovely lunch or with some masala potatoes and salad or an evening meal.