- 4 chicken legs, skinned and trimmed
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 large lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 200ml Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves.
- Handful of coriander chopped lemon wedges
- Wash the chicken pieces and leave to drain. Ensure the chicken is thoroughly dry then slash the meat diagonally before marinating.
- Blend the garlic, ginger, chilli in a pestle and mortar blender with lemon juice.
- Place the dry chicken in a dish and stir in the blended ingredients pour on the lemon juice and the mustard oil.
- In a separate dish mix the remaining ingredients with the yoghurt to create a paste. Add this yoghurt paste to the chicken and using your hands massage into the meat.
- Cover, refrigerate and leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes but the longer the better. Heat the oven to 180oC.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to an oven tray and cook for about 30-40 minutes. The chicken should be tender and a little charred which helps give the smokey flavour. Even better cook this on the barbecue!
I always have this as a starter with a green salad. The one thing you have to have is raw onions that have been soaked in salted water drained and then drenched in lemon juice.