- 50g peas
- 1 carrot (diced small)
- 100g mixed vegetables - mushrooms, cauliflower, sweetcorn etc
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5cm stick cassia bark
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 2 black cardamom
- Handful of mint leaves, chopped
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- 250g basmati rice, washed
- 500ml water
- 2 pinches of saffron threads
- 5 tbsp of milk or warm water
- Wash the rice until water runs clear and set to one side.
- In a small bowl add the saffron strands and pour in a splash milk. Leave the saffron to steep.
- Heat the oil and add the bay leaves, cassia bark, peppercorns, cumin seeds, cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves and stir-fry for 2 minutes until the spices become aromatic.
- Add chopped onions and cook until soft. Stir in the salt and cook until the onion just begin to turn golden then stir in the ginger, garlic, green chilli, mint and coriander leaves.
- Add the mixed vegetables. Stir to coat and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the washed rice and stir through very gently. Add the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and place the lid on the pan and leave to cook for 10 minutes. Splash the saffron milk on the rice and leave the lid on the pan for a few more minutes.
- Remove the lid and fork through the rice and serve.
Great as a pack lunch dish, but also a lovely way to jazz up a rice dish.