- 2 tbsp of oil
- 4 onions, finely diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 800g plum tomatoes
- 8cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- salt to taste
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- Handful of coriander stalks, finely chopped
- 3 chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp of garam masala
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry on a high heat for a few minutes then reduce the heat and cook gently.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and continue to cook gently for at least 30 minutes until the onions turn a really dark golden brown.
- Once brown and caramelised add the tomatoes, ginger, salt, turmeric, coriander stalks and chopped chillies and a little chilli powder.
- Let the onions, tomatoes and spices melt together creating a thick aromatic masala paste. This will take about 5-10 minutes so be patient!
- This masala can then be used for your dish or you can cool it down and freeze it in tubs. Just defrost as and when needed.