- 500g chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite size chunks
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, blended in a food processor to a grated consistency
- 200g/½ tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 2 to 3 green chillies, chopped
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oil and butter in a pan and add cumin seeds. When sizzling and aromatic add the onions and fry until a golden colour.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and fresh chillies. Stir together and leave to cook so the tomatoes break down and you're left with a thick paste.
- Pour in the coconut cream and cook gently for a few minutes so the flavours combine. Add the meat and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and place the lid half on the pan and leave to cook for about 10 minutes until cooked.
- Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if required
- Remove from heat and add garam masala and throw in the fresh coriander to serve.
Just like they do in South India this only requires rice, but I do like to have this with lemon rice as well.