- 50g Basmati rice
- 110ml full fat milk
- 250ml coconut milk
- 40g jaggery or unrefined brown sugar
- 5 cardamom pods (seeds only, pounded to a fine powder)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp of cashew nuts, pistachios & raisins
- 1 pinch of saffron
- In a wide heavy bottom sauce pan add the rice, full fat milk, coconut milk and heat over medium heat, keep stirring it and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and stir in the jaggery and the crushed cardamom seeds until the sugar melts.
- This needs to cook gently for about an hour. Make sure you stir the rice so it doesn’t stick. If it feels too dry just add alittle more milk.
- Test the rice by squeezing it between your fingers. Once it's soft and cooked through the pudding should have a lovely creamy consistency, remove it from the heat and cover with a lid.
- In a frying pan heat the butter and add cashew nuts to toast slightly, add the pistachios and raisins and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the fried nuts along with the butter over the Payasam and serve warm.
Sprinkle with nuts and raisens