- 1L whole milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 500ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 2 green cardamom
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 tbsp pistachios, chopped (for topping)
- 750ml water
- 200g sugar
- To make the cream cheese, place milk in a large pan and just bring to the boil, stir so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, stir through and the milk will separate.
- Strain into a sieve lined with a muslin sheet and bring the corners of the muslin together to squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Place a dinner plate on top and weigh it down and leave for at least 2 hours but overnight is best.
- Remove the cream cheese and kneed it until soft and smooth. Once it starts to feel oily make 6 small balls and set to one side.
- Heat the milk and bring it to a gentle simmer for about a half an hour until it has reduced down to half. Make sure you stir it so it doesn't scorch at the bottom.
- Add all the sugar, rose water, cardamom and stir then leave to cool.
- Place the water and the sugar into a pan and bring to the boil until the sugar has melted.
- Remove from the heat and place the balls in the sugar syrup and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the delicate balls onto some kitchen paper to drain and discard the syrup.
- Once the fragranced milk has cooled add the cheese balls and refrigerate.
- To serve remove from the refrigerator and serve with a little of the fragranced milk, top with the crushed pistachios and sprinkle with saffron strands.
Lovely when topped with crushed pistachios or almonds for added texture.