- 2 racks of ribs
- 3 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp heaped smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce or 4 hot birds eye chillies, minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat your oven to 140ºC.
- Using a knife scrape the underside of the ribs on one end and you will see there is a transparent membrane present. Pull this membrane (use a cloth for grip) from the back of the ribs to remove it. Remove any excess fat too.
- In a pestle and mortar bash up the fennel, cumin and pepper and put into a bowl then stir in the paprika and salt.
- Place the ribs on an oven tray and rub the dry spices all over the ribs. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make up the glaze and when the ribs are ready smear half the marinade over the ribs on both sides.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 200ºC and return the ribs to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Every few minutes spoon over a little more of the glaze and replace in the oven for a final 20 minutes until the ribs are sticky and delicious.