- 900g lamb leg, trimmed and cubed
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3-4cm ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 4 tbsp yoghurt
- 300g fresh spinach, washed and thinly sliced
- Put the coriander seeds into the pestle and mortar and crush.
- Add the ginger, garlic and salt then crush everything to a paste.
- In a bowl add the paste to the meat and leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the onions and begin to cook until golden brown. Remove one-third and set on kitchen roll for later.
- To the remaining onions add the marinated meat and stir in the turmeric, salt, chopped chilli and chilli. Turn the heat up and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and place the lid on the pan and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Into the meat stir in one tablespoon of the yoghurt until it has all been absorbed then repeat with the remaining yoghurt one spoonful at a time.
- Add the spinach (retaining a little for the garnish) and stir, cover the pan and leave to cook for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally and cook until the lamb is delicious and tender. The sauce should be thick and creamy with the spinach entwined and clinging to the meat.
- Chop up the browned onions and a little fresh spinach to sprinkle on top and serve.