- 4 cloves garlic
- 10cm ginger
- 20 curry leaves with stalks
- 1 heaped tsp peppercorn
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 10g tamarind solid or 1 tsp tamarind paste
- handful of coriander stalks
- 750ml-1L water
- 6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Grind all the ingredients for the paste together in a blender to make a rough paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the paste.
- Once aromatic and golden add the tomatoes and stir
- Pour in 750ml of water and the tamarind.
- Add salt, the coriander stalks and turmeric. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain and check the seasoning, adjust if needed and pour into cups and sip away.