- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or 2tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 7-10 curry leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp peanuts or cashew nuts
- 2 lemons
- 200g Tilda Basmati rice
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- In a wide based pan add the washed rice, pour in 500ml of water (twice the amount of water to rice). Bring the water to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and place the lid on the pan. Leave to cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, very gently fork through it and leave to cool.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. As they begin to splutter add the peanuts or cashews and fry to a golden brown colour. Add the turmeric powder, the curry leaves, green chillies and salt - fry for a minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the rice.
- Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and mix through carefully until all the rice is beautifully bright yellow.
This is such a delicious rice dish that it can be savoured as a lovely side dish to comliment a lovely tomato based dish but quite often I like to have this on its own as a meal in itself. Makes for a great take to work lunch dish!