- 3 cups of water
- 3 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp tea leaves or 2 tea bags
- 3 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- approx. 100ml milk
To make Ginger Chai
- 3cm fresh ginger, grated
- Place water in a small pan.
- Add the cardamoms, cloves and fennel (and ginger if making ginger tea) and heat the water.
- Bring to the boil and leave for 2-3 minutes so the spices infuse into the water.
- Add the tea and sugar. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk (the tea should be a light caramel colour). Turn the heat up and bring back to the boil. Just before it boils reduce the heat and leave it to simmer for about 5 minutes to intensify. (Be careful as it can boil over very quickly.)
- Remove from the heat and strain the tea into small glasses.