- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 or 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 150ml water
- 2 bunches fresh fenugreek/methi leaves, washed and finely chopped (alternatively use 3tbsp dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once fragrant add onion and cook until golden brown (20 mins).
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and cook together for a few minutes.
- Stir in the puréed tomatoes, chilli powder, crushed coriander seeds, salt and green chilli.
- Mix the yoghurt and water and pour into the pan. Replace lid and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the washed and chopped methi leaves and stir into the sauce. Replace the lid and leave to cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the chicken pieces and place the lid on the pan and cook for a few minutes on a medium heat until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Increase the heat and remove the lid then stir fry the chicken, stirring all the time to thicken the sauce to a consistency you are happy with.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the garam masala and serve.
Delicious with roti or rice.