- 500g onions, peeled
- 25g fresh root ginger
- 900ml water
- 25g garlic
- 1 tbsp salt
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 4 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder/paprika
- Roughly chop the onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a blender blitz the onions, ginger and garlic with half the water until you have a smooth paste.
- Place this blended paste and the remaining water into a large pan. Stir in the salt and bring to boil, ten reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 45 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, pour into a blender and whizz until you are left with a completely smooth sauce.
- Blend the tinned tomatoes until completely smooth.
- Heat the oil in a clean pan and add the tomato purée, turmeric and chilli powder. Stir in the blended tomatoes and bring it all to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the onion mix and bring it all to a boil. After a few minutes reduce to a simmer.
- Skim off any froth from the top and leave to cook for 25 minutes continuing skimming off any froth.
- Leave to cool and store in the refrigerator for 5 days, or freeze
- Heat and use as and when required.
This base sauce can be used for any basic tomato based dish, such as chicken, lamb or veg - it's your choice.