- 600g chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 100g Pistachios, blanched
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 7cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green chillies 6 garlic cloves
- ½ small bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- 200g yoghurt ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 cloves
- 15 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cassia bark
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Fresh cream for garnish
- Fresh coriander to garnish</li>
- Boil enough water to cover the pistachios, add them and blanch for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and put them into cold water so they stay green.
- Squish them in your fingers to remove the skins. Discard the skin and place the pistachios in a bowl for later.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl and add yoghurt, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Heat ghee and add cloves, black peppercorns, green cardamoms, bay leaf and cassia and sauté until fragrant. Add minced onion and and cook to soften for 5-10 minutes.
- Add ginger, green chillies, garlic and sauté until soft. Stir in the pistachios and stil for 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for a while.
- Remove the bay leaf and cassia bark. Pour into a large jug and add a handful of fresh coriander leaves and about 130 ml of water and with a stick blender and blitz to a fine purée.
- In the same pan heat a tbsp of ghee and add cumin seeds until they sizzle and put the cassia and bay back to the pan. Add the marinated chicken and sauté on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the blended pistachio paste with some salt and mix well. Cover the pan and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh cream, coriander and slivers of pistachios.
Serve with just some plain basmati rice - this requires nothing more.