- 2 green chillies
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- juice from 1 lemon
- 20-30 raw large prawns
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 150g gram flour
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Approx. 100ml water if required
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 large Maris piper potatoes
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
Chilli Mayo Dip
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ red chilli, chopped
- In a blender blitz ginger, garlic, chillies and empty into a bowl.
- Crush the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar and add to the bowl.
- Add the cumin seed, lemon juice, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and stir into the bowl
- Add the prawns and mix to coat. Leave them to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying to about 180C.
- In a second bowl, sift in the gram flour and corn flour and add the garam masala.
- Add the prawn mixture to the flour and mix so all the prawns are coated with the batter. If it feels too dry add in a little water to create a thick batter.
- Check the oil is hot enough by dropping in a little batter. If it rises straight away you’re good to go.
- Once ready, very carefully slip a few of the prawns into the hot oil and fry for three to four minutes until they are golden. Remove and place on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining. Serve immediately while they're still hot.
- Heat the oil in deep pan or fryer to about 180ºC.
- Peel the potatoes wash and cut into chips
- Sprinkle the chips with the salt and leave it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the chips on kitchen roll and pat dry.
- In a bowl add the corn flour, salt, black pepper, chilli powder, chaat masala, cumin, garam masala and mix together.
- Add the chips to the bowl and coat with the spices.
- Check the oil is ready by dipping one chip into the pan - if it sizzles the oil is ready.
- Fry the chips until they begin to turn golden. Remove from the fryer and let the oil heat again.
- Dip the chips back in for a second fry so they become extra crunchy. Once golden brown, remove and place on kitchen roll to drain.
Chilli Mayo Dip
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl, mix and serve.