- 5-6 chicken thighs/4 breasts
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped (2 for more heat)
- 1 tsp of garam masala, heaped
- 1 tsp of dried fenugreek leaf (kasoori methi)
- ½ tsp of coriander seeds, crushed
- 4 cardamoms, crushed
- 250g Greek yoghurt (ideally hung yoghurt)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Mustard oil (for brushing)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 6 skewers - metal or wooden
- Wash and dry the chicken thoroughly then cut into large chunks.
- Mix all the marinade spices in a dish and add the yoghurt, stir together.
- Place the chicken and chopped vegetables in the marinade and using your hands rub the yoghurt all over them.
- Refrigerate and leave to marinade for at least one hour.
- Heat the oven to 200oC. If using wooden skewers soak them in cold water for about 20 minutes.
- Skewer the meat and vegetables. Place the chicken skewers onto a baking tray and brush with oil and place on the middle shelf in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the skewers over and brush or drizzle with oil. Return to the top shelf of the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and a good squeeze of lemon juice to serve.
I would always serve this with and a crisp onion salad and my zingy mint chutney