- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 cup atta (whole wheat Flour)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- ¼ tsp carom Seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp amchoor powder (dry mango powder)
- 2 tbsp methi leaves (fenugreek leaves - fresh or dried)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp ghee or rapeseed oil
- Salt to taste
- water or milk (if required)
- Add everything into mixing bowl apart from the milk or water - gram flour, whole-wheat flour, finely chopped onion, chopped green chilli, carom seeds, yoghurt, dry mango powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, 2 tsp ghee or oil and salt.
- Mix all ingredients with your hand then add water or milk a little at a time if needed. Knead the dough to a smooth and soft mixture. Cover it with a tea towel and set to one side for 10 minutes. The dough will be a little more sticky compared to just a flour dough.
- Grease the dough with a little oil and knead it again.
- Put a little oil on your hands and divide it into 8 equal portions. Roll them into balls and set to one side.
- Heat a tava, griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- Ensure you have some flour on a plate for dusting then take one ball and flatten it out in the dusting flour on both side.
- Using a rolling pin, start to roll out the dough into a thick round roti (approx 5-6 inch diameter). You don't want these to be too thin.
- Once the tava has warmed up place one roti and let it begin to cook. Tiny bubbles will starts to rise on top surface. Flip it and reduce flame to low.
- Spread a little ghee on the surface using a spoon and continue to cook for about a minute.
- Flip it over and increase the heat, spread a little more ghee on this side and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Flip again and cook until it's golden and brown spots appear evenly on both the sides. You may need to flip it a couple more times.
- Place the cooked roti on a plate lined with kitchen roll. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough and serve immediately.
Smear with butter and serve.